Two posts in one day! How about that? Make sure you check out the other post for today. –>
The Wayfaring Wanderer has a challenge and giveaway contest right now about what we as individuals do and can do to implement a “green” lifestyle. The challenge is to list five things that you are doing already and then five things that you can start implementing. This really is a challenge for me and tells me I need to be a better steward of our planet.
I finally came up with the fifth item (and added a few extra) after reading what other people are doing. I had a lightbulb moment and I’m actually doing better than I thought!
- Reuse towels.
- Use cloth napkins.
- Only run the dishwasher when it is full (or in my case, overflowing).
- Energy efficient, super good cents, home.
- The temperature on my water heater is turned down.
- Don’t run the kiln during the summer months and during the winter months push the kiln’s heat output through the furnace system to save on heating.
- Reuse grocery store bags for trash and dog poo.
- Take short showers.
- Buy groceries locally or in the town where I work and only travel to buy when I can’t get it local (my dog’s food).
- Use a Brita water filter (thank you Hallie) and don’t buy water bottles.
Now this is what I can do.
- Do a better job of recycling – right now about the only thing I recycle is cardboard (our town doesn’t make it easy to recycle at all).
- Turn down the heat and wear warmer clothing.
- Reuse grocery bags at the grocery store or buy the reusable bags and keep them in my vehicle so they are easy to use.
- Switch to energy saving light bulbs.
- Turn off my laptop when not in use.
There! I did it! Woo hoo! I didn’t think I’d be able to and, like I said already, I’m doing better than I thought I was.
This also qualifies for November in black and white – click here for info.